Now that Pride month has officially ended, I wanted to take a moment to reflect on the last several weeks and what our community was able to accomplish in such a short amount of time. Undoubtedly, the last two Pride seasons have been difficult for Pride organizations throughout the world. However, being able to finally gather once again has brought a much needed sense of joy and hope to our community that we anticipate has provided you with just a small taste of what’s to come in 2022.
As we gathered for the 46th annual Pride Celebration in the Nation’s Capital, thousands of eager participants took advantage of the many opportunities we and our partners offered that were designed to educate, support, and celebrate our multi-faceted community. In response to city-wide restrictions, ever changing variables outside of our control, and limited resources, the Capital Pride Alliance nevertheless successfully planned and executed a number of modified and first-time events that we expect will provide a long-lasting and positive impact on our region. We’re incredibly proud of the members of our team who have brought us to the forefront in our field, navigating what Pride can look like in uncertain times, and inspiring other Pride organizations throughout the world to plan their own roads back to normalcy. A sampling of a few of these events include:
- In less than two weeks, we were able to galvanize over 10,000 marchers for the Pride Walk and Rally that was attended by VP Kamala Harris and Mayor Muriel Bowser.
- The Pridemobile Parade, featuring over 55 organizations traversing through Washington, DC, sponsored by Pepco, Amazon, and the
- We Painted the Town Colorful with Pride, inspiring hundreds of homes, organizations, and businesses to decorate their public spaces during the month of June in support of local LGBTQ+ nonprofits, proudly presented by Pepco.
- The sold-out Capital Pride Honors and Opening Party , brought over 1,000 members from the community together to acknowledge outstanding leaders and to celebrate Pride weekend once again.
- A Taste of Pride Brunch, a city-wide event featuring an array of local restaurants and businesses, in support of the GivePride365 Fund and the Capital Pride Alliance.
- Hooked on Capital Pride, a weekly celebratory social mixer aimed at raising funds for Pride organizations throughout the region.
- In collaboration with Asian American and Pacific Islander organizations from the National Capital Region, we helped launch the AAPI Pride Virtual Art Exhibit.
- Educational programs focusing on critical topics including healthcare, aging, and identity via our StillWe Lead and Pride Talks
- The launch of the Colorful Campaign and music video in collaboration with the band SHAED, in support of the GivePride365 Fund, benefitting local LGBTQ+ nonprofits.
- The launch of the GivePride365 Fund, the Capital Pride Alliance’s answer to the ever-increasing need for financial support among LGBTQ+ organizations in the National Capital Region, presented by Marriott International, with matching gift partners, Marriott, Pepco, and VIDA Fitness.
- The Launch of the Pride365shop.org, with proceeds benefitting LGBTQ+ businesses and nonprofits.
These one-of-a-kind opportunities were made possible by a small determined staff, along with an amazing team of volunteers who serve on the Capital Pride Alliance Board and Production Team. They put in countless hours to ensure that the Washington DC region could continue to enjoy Pride, and we sincerely thank all of them. We’re also very appreciative of our amazing partners and advocates (sponsors) who stepped up during this challenging time to ensure that we could HavePride365! A full list of these generous sponsors can be found HERE.
We are truly thrilled to once again welcome people from near and far to experience the rich, vibrant, and diverse LGBTQ+ community here in the National Capital Region, and we thank you for sharing your voices, lending your support, and joining us to press forward in our work to support and demand justice for our community. To learn more about or show support for our charitable initiatives, we invite you to visit us at www.CapitalPride.org
Remember that we #HavePride365!
Capital Pride Alliance