ELEMENTS OF US
Pride 2018 Includes New Give Back Initiatives
Washington, DC, February 2, 2018 – The Capital Pride Alliance announced “Elements of Us” as the Pride 2018 theme last night at the Seventh Annual Pride Reveal event at SAX Restaurant & Lounge in downtown Washington, DC. Through this theme, Capital Pride acknowledges that every person’s life is composed of a kaleidoscope of extraordinary parts, including identity, race, sexuality, gender, spirituality, experience, beliefs, goals, and so much more.
“These elements influence who we are and help sustain and balance us in what can be an otherwise perplexing and difficult world. Who we are also links us to each other and to our exceptional LGBTQ+ community,” said Ashley Smith, President of the Board of Directors of the Capital Pride Alliance. “We are constantly challenged to celebrate and appreciate what makes each of us unique, while at the same time we are called to recognize that our common goals bind us together, each to the other. Thus, collectively through Pride we are able to create a powerful foundation that will help us advance the cause of human dignity, equal rights, and a world free from discrimination and prejudice”.
“Together let us stand tall, look forward, take a deep breath, and become who we are meant to be – confident, supportive, resilient, compassionate, and glorious. Let’s celebrate the many Elements of Us!” added Ryan Bos, Executive Director of Capital Pride Alliance.
Capital Pride also highlighted a few new and expanded initiatives:
- Volunteer With Pride, Capital Pride’s volunteer program, is being expanded to not only support the major events of the annual Pride Celebration, but will support other LGBTQ+ partner organizations in the national capital region.
- The Capital Pride Legacy Fund is being launched to raise funds to support new grants offered by Capital Pride Alliance and to cultivate and train the expanded and robust volunteer program.
- The Participation Grants will assist and encourage new organizations to participate in their first Pride,
- Working Grants will be given to organizations that provide volunteer support to produce the marquee Pride events, and
- Experience Grants will expand access to events and activities for individuals and organizations that would not have the opportunity otherwise.
“We encourage individuals to become a Friend of Pride by making a donation at any level, and for those able, to make a donation of $1,000 or greater to be part of the new Capital Pride Legacy Circle,” said Rachel Gleishman, Vice-President of Records Management of Capital Pride Alliance.
The Capital Pride 2018 Celebration in the Nation’s Capital will take place June 7 – 10, 2018, and includes the annual Pride Parade presented by Marriott on Saturday, June 9, the Pride Festival presented by Live! Casino and Hotel on Sunday, June 10, and Pride Concert presented by HOT 99.5 also on Sunday, June 10, 2018.
Past Pride themes have included “Unleash the Superhero in You,” “Build Our Bright Future,” “Make Magic Happen,” and most recently “Unapologetically Proud.”
For more information about this year’s theme, new initiatives and programs, please contact Ryan Bos at 202-719-5304, ext. 700. For more information about the Capital Pride Alliance and the Pride 2018 Celebration, please visit the website capitalpride.org and capitalpride.org/celebration.
ABOUT CAPITAL PRIDE ALLIANCE
The Capital Pride Alliance, through its stewardship of diverse programming and events, specifically year-round LGBTQ+ Pride festivities centered in Washington, DC and the National Capital Region, serves to celebrate, educate, support, and inspire our multi-faceted communities in order to grow and preserve our history and protect our rights for current and future generations. Facebook (CapitalPrideDC), Twitter (CapitalPrideDC), YouTube, Instagram (@CapitalPrideDC).