Do you have what it takes to wear the crown?
Apply today for your chance to compete for the Mr., Mx, and Miss Capital Pride 2023 title!
On behalf of the Capital Pride Alliance (Capital Pride), your former Mr. and Miss Capital Prides, the Board of Directors, Staff, and Production Team, thank you for your interest in the Mr., Mx, and Miss Capital Pride Competition. In this packet you will find the information that you need to assist in your preparations for this year’s competition:
- Official Rules and Regulations
- Scheduled dates and times for Mr., Mx, & Miss Capital Pride 2023 Competition
- Explanation of Categories
- Official application and contestant information sheets
- Contestant bio information and special instruction sheets
There will only be five (5) contestants allowed for each title and will be based on a first come, first applied basis.
If you have any questions or need clarification on the competition and categories, please do not hesitate to contact Destiny B. Childs via email [email protected].
We wish you all the best in your quest to capture the title of Mr., Mx, or Miss Capital Pride 2023!
Capital Pride Formers
Rules and Regulations
- Contestants must be 21 years of age or older. (Proof of age is required).
- There is a $75 application fee due at the time of applying.
- Any person, male or female, who has previously won the title of Mr. or Miss Capital Pride, shall not be eligible to compete for that title again.
- Mr. Capital Pride is open to any Cis Male, Drag King, Transgender Male, or Male identifying individual.
- Mx Capital Pride is for individuals who identify as non-binary.
- Miss Capital Pride is open to any Cis Female, Drag Queen, Transgender Female, or Female identifying individual.
- Contestants will be judged in the following categories: Pride Attire, Talent, and Question and Answer.
- The Talent competition is limited to a maximum of 5 minutes. Contestants who exceed the time limit will be given a score of zero. Each contestant is given an additional 1 minute for set up and 1 minute for breakdown of props. The additional time may not be added to the performance time.
- Any contestant, or person affiliated with a contestant, who misappropriates the property of another contestant, violates any law regarding the abuse of alcohol or drugs, or is caught in the act of stealing will be disqualified and removed from the location of the competition. Unsportsmanlike conduct by a contestant or contestant’s entourage (dresser, dancer) before, during, or after the competition will not be tolerated and is subject to immediate dismissal from the venue and competition.
- It is further understood that by signing and submitting this application, contestants and the contestant’s entourage (dresser, dancers) will take responsibility for any damage (should it occur) to event venue before, during, or after the competition.
- On the day of competition, each contestant will receive 100 administrative points upon arrival. Any contestant who arrives late will be deducted 10 points for every 5 minutes of tardiness.
- At no time during the competition shall a contestant or their helper(s) receive a gratuity of any kind during their time on stage.
- Each contestant will be allowed ONLY one (1) dresser at any given time. Contestants must remain in the assigned area at all times. Five Administrative points will be deducted from contestants who do not remain in the designated area. Dressers and Dancers as well as any other helpers with a contestant must pay at the front door before being allowed access to the dressing room.
- Each contestant who has back-up dancers or prop support staff shall be allowed to have them get ready 2 numbers prior to the talent performance. The contestant coordinator will strictly enforce this rule.
- Contestants are permitted to provide individual walking music for the category of *Pride Attire.
(Provided by the Capital Pride Alliance)
The winners of Mr., Mx, and Miss Capital Pride 2023 will receive:
Mr. Capital Pride 2023:
Cash prize of $500.00, an official medallion and flowers
(Cash prize awarded as follows – $250.00 upon winning, $250.00 upon completion of his reign)
Mx Capital Pride 2023:
Cash prize of $500.00, an official medallion and flowers
(Cash prize awarded as follows – $250.00 upon winning, $250.00 upon completion of their reign)
Miss Capital Pride 2023:
Cash Prize of $500.00, an official crown and flowers
(Cash prize awarded as follows – $250.00 upon winning, $250.00 upon completion of her reign)
*Cash Prizes are subject to change without notice. The minimum cash prize for each winner shall be a minimum of $500.00 as stated above in the official prize package.
The winners of Mr., Mx, and Miss Capital Pride 2023 will appear at selected official Capital Pride events during the week of the 48th Celebration of Pride in the Nation’s Capital and throughout the year. Events may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Capital Pride Honors — Friday, June 2, 2023
- Opening Party – June 9, 2023
- Pride Parade — Saturday, June 10, 2023
- Pride Festival — Sunday, June 11, 2023
- Music In The Night – Monday, October 9, 2023
- Fushsia Ball – TBD
- Pride Reveal 2024 – TBD
- Mr., Mx, and Miss Capital Pride 2024 – May 2024
- (2) Planned Fundraising Events during your reign
- Raise a minimum of $2000 each
- Attendance for their official End of Year Step Down for the Title
All appearances will be scheduled and approved by the Capital Pride Committee.
Winners will present themselves in a professional manner while holding the titles of Mr., Mx, and Miss Capital Pride 2023. All final decisions are made by the Capital Pride Alliance. Any misconduct throughout the year will be handled at the discretion of the Capital Pride Alliance.
There will be other scheduled events throughout the year that the winners will have the opportunity to attend and represent the Capital Pride Alliance. You will be notified in a timely manner when these events are scheduled.
Itinerary for Mr., Mx, and Miss CAPITAL PRIDE 2023
Thursday, May 18, 2023
4:00 p.m. Doors open for all contestants
6:00 p.m. Roll call
7:00 p.m. Mr, Mx, and Miss Capital Pride 2023 Begins (PROMPTLY)
Welcome and Introductions
Pride Attire (Mr., Mx, and Miss)
Talent (Mr., Mx, and Miss)
Formal Wear/Evening Gown and On-stage interview
Coronation (Mr., Mx, and Miss.)
**All applicants must acknowledge that they have read all rules and regulations in the application form. No exceptions!**
Mr., Mx, and Miss Capital Pride 2023 / PRIDE ATTIRE
Pride attire may be presented by the contestant in the form of his/their/her most imaginative and creative style. Pride attire is not limited to any one color but should encompass the full scale of the Pride flag of the contestant’s choice. Make your own statement and get as creative as you like. Each contestant will choose a flag from the LGBTQ+ spectrum and incorporate all the colors of the chosen flag into the Pride attire.
Mr. Capital Pride 2023 / FORMAL WEAR
Formal wear should be the most distinguished outfit you wear during the competition (i.e., black tie, tails, regular or modern tuxedo, but no black jeans). It should complement you and make a statement of your personal style and taste. No strings should be anywhere on the formal attire. There should be no tears in any part of the fabric and the garment should be stain- and wrinkle-free. It is your responsibility to take care of your formal wear and keep it in perfect condition during the competition.
Mx. Capital Pride 2023 / EVENING/FORMAL WEAR
Formal wear will be the most elegant outfit you wear during the competition should be the most distinguished outfit. It should complement you and make a statement of your personal style and taste. No strings should be anywhere on the formal attire. There should be no tears in any part of the fabric and the garment should be stain- and wrinkle-free. It is your responsibility to take care of your formal wear and keep it in perfect condition during the competition.
Miss Capital Pride 2023 / EVENING/FORMAL WEAR
EVENING/FORMAL WEAR will be the most elegant outfit that you wear during the competition (i.e., full length evening gown, or formal suit). It should complement your figure and make a statement of your personal style and taste. The outfit accessories should be in perfect condition. No strings should be anywhere on the outfit unless the style warrants it. There should be no tears in any part of the fabric and the outfit should be stain- and wrinkle-free. It is your responsibility to take care of the outfit and keep it in perfect condition during the competition.
Mr., Mx, and Miss Capital Pride 2023 / ON-STAGE INTERVIEW
Scoring will be based on personality and poise, the ability to communicate on a microphone in front of an audience, and the content of the answer given in relation to the question asked. This portion will immediately follow your presentation in Evening Gown or Formal wear.
Mr., Mx, and Miss Capital Pride 2023 / TALENT
Talent is the highest point category in the Mr, Mx, and Miss Capital Pride 2023 competitions. Contestants will be judged on the quality of lip-sync, live vocal, or other entertainment. Judges will be looking for lip sync or live singing ability. This will include but is not limited to words to his/her/their song and proper phrasing within the song. If it is a live performance, is the talent of good quality? If there is choreography, the dancers should know the steps and steps should flow. If a member of your troupe does not know his/her/their part, points will be deducted from your score. Quality of set design and construction are not judged (note: allowed height is 6 feet). All contestants are responsible for their sets. Judges are instructed to deduct points if a set does not complement or enhance the talent and if the set falls or is broken during the talent phase of competition. All costuming and set design should fit the style and mood of the talent being presented. Is your talent appropriate for competition? Does your talent move, excite, or educate the judges panel and the audience. It is important to know that you are being judged by a panel of judges and not by the audience. Keep in mind that subcategories make up the total score in each category of competition.
* NO FIRE, WATER, OR HAZARDOUS MATERIALS ARE PERMITTED DURING ANY PORTION OF THE COMPETITIONS.
Contestants are allowed 1 minute for set up and 1 minute for breakdown of props.
Please make application payment before filling out the application in the event that all slots have been filled.
**Application fees are non-refundable.**
All proceeds will go to the Capital Pride Alliance to help us continue programming all year.