The Visibility Factor
Join the Delegation of the European Union to the USA and Capital Pride Alliance on June 16th for The Visibility Factor, a discussion and celebration of LGBTQI+ visibility around the world! Doors Open at 6:30pm, discussion begins at 7:00pm, at Red Bear Brewing Co, 209 M Street NE, Washington, DC.
This is a free event but RSVP is required, HERE.
Visibility is defined as “the state or fact of being seen” and the “relative possibility of seeing.” This Pride Month, the Delegation of the European Union to the United States and the Capital Pride Alliance are proud to host “The Visibility Factor,” a discussion and celebration of LGBTQI+ visibility around the world. While protections exist today on both sides of the Atlantic that ensure equal treatment of the law regardless of gender identity and sexual orientation, LGBTQI+ visibility still varies greatly in definition and actions.
Our international panel of esteemed guests will share their own LGBTQI+ stories, highlight why visibility is important in their daily lives, and explore ideas for making LGBTQI+ individuals more visible around the world.
- H.E. Edgars Rinkēvičs, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Republic of Latvia
- Ashley Smith, President, Board of Directors, Capital Pride Alliance
- Jessica Stern, U.S. Special Envoy to Advance the Human Rights of LGBTQI+ Persons
- Michael Ahrens, Minister Counselor, Embassy of Germany
- Heracles Aktypis, Counselor, Embassy of Greece
- Neela Ghoshal, Senior Director of Law, Policy and Research at Outright Action International
- Michael Lavers, International News Editor, Washington Blade (moderator)
*COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement*
The European Union Delegation requires that all attendees bring proof of vaccination or proof of a negative test from within the past 72 hours to attend this indoor event.
Masks are encouraged when not actively eating or drinking.
This event is funded by the European Union.